Skip to Main Content
Designed by Samuel William Pomeroy in 1838, Gannett House is the oldest surviving building on campus. Purchased in 1897, it is named after Reverend Caleb Gannett, whose own home had stood nearby on the current site of Austin Hall. The house has had many uses; in the early 1900s, students rented rooms for $125 to $250 a year. Gannett’s Grecian columns originally faced Harvard Square, but in 1938 the house was turned ninety degrees as part of a proposed mall that was never built.
Since 1925 Gannett House has been home to the Harvard Law Review, the prestigious student-run journal of legal scholarship. The first floor is occupied by the Harvard Defenders and the Prison Legal Assistance Program.
Back to Top