Harvard Law School Green Team celebrates Earth Day (L-R): Top row - Mike Rozensher, Amrit Dhir, Sameer Birring. Middle row: Lee Fenn, Kate Cosgrove, Krystyna Wamboldt, Alyssa Lary, Carrie Ayers, Trisha Kingsbury. Front row: Carla Ganon, Jenny Lee, Myra Blake.
The Law School Green Team is a forum for members of the HLS community interested in taking action to improve campus sustainability. We have been meeting monthly over lunch since February 2009. The Green Team takes on projects aimed at expanding knowledge surrounding the environmental impacts of daily decisions about food, energy, and materials. The group also seeks to make it easier for members of HLS to make more sustainable decisions about resource consumption.
E-mail the HLS Sustainability Program Manager Anne Sargent at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to join our e-mail list or otherwise get involved with this fantastic group of volunteer leaders.
The members of the HLS Green Team are:
- Innovators. We brainstorm, plan and implement campus sustainability projects, like our ongoing building composting project; the first of its kind at any Harvard school.
- Knowledgeable. We strive to be the most well-informed members of the HLS community about campus sustainability initiative implementation and successes. We build our knowledge base through: monthly meetings with our group, the HLS Sustainability Coordinator and guests from campus administrative departments; best-practice sharing over our email list; participating in the University-wide Green Team Leaders network, and educational events, discussions with faculty, movie screenings and field trips.
- Communicators. We act as key liaisons to share information and receive feedback about sustainability initiatives and successes within our community, and perform outreach with our peers about sustainability best practices and behavior change.
Our Goals - The Green Team focuses on four key impact areas:
- Greenhouse Gas Reduction: as partners in achieving Harvard's Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goal, the Green Team advises the administration on energy conservation opportunities and shares best-practice conservation and efficiency behaviors with the campus community.
- Resource Efficiency: The Green Team works on wide-ranging conservation and efficiency projects supporting Harvard's commitment to Sustainability Principles including water conservation, strategic procurement, and the reduction, recycling, re-use and composting of waste.
- Community Education & Engagement: Through outreach campaigns, film screenings, and direct peer-to-peer outreach, the Green Team seeks to educate and engage the Law School community on environmental issues.
- Professional Development: Green Team membership and project work is an opportunity for members to be leaders in their offices and throughout the campus community, network with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students and develop professional skills.
One person’s trash is another's treasure. Does your office or student organization have surplus supplies it no longer needs, but which would be useful to another group? Do you have books, furniture, and other items from home that you would like to donate? The Green Team hosts several Freecycle events each year, where community members can swap or "freecycle" items they no longer need in exchange for new gently-used items for free.
Welcome Freecycle items include:
- Office Supplies
- Games and Toys
- Small Furniture (lamps, chairs, etc)
- Media (CDs, DVDs, Tapes)
Leftover items are donated to Habitat for Humanity and other local charitable organizations. Look for information about the next Freecycle on the HLS Calendar.
HLS Freecycle Listserv
Join the HLS Freecycle e-mail list by sending a plain text e-mail to email@example.com with the subject: subscribe hlsfreecycle.
Valentines Day Cosmetics Drive
The Green Team sponsors an annual Valentines Day Cosmetics Drive to collect toiletries and cosmetics for a local womens' shelter. Look for a box near the Harkness cafe each February.