This page is used by managers who are preparing for any of the following situations. Please contact HR to initiate the account creation process, taking note of the following items.
- Hiring a temporary/casual employee.
- Hiring a Visiting Scholar/Fellow
- Bringing on a volunteer, or other affiliated person who will need computer access.
- Doing a last-minute* hire of a full-time employee.
* last minute: less than 5 business days are left before you expect this employee to start work at HLS, and Human Resources is not already aware.
Please be as accurate as possible with entry of all data, particularly with submission of names. HR and ITS will feed this precise information into our systems to create access to many different parts of our network. Misspellings or incorrect information will lead to delays in account access, as well as difficulties in being found or contacted by colleagues.
All temporary employees, visiting scholars, fellows, volunteers, and affiliated persons are required to have an end date. If no end date is provided, 90 days will be provided by default.
ITS and Human Resources require notification at least 5 days ahead of time to fully set up a new employee, whether temporary or full-time. This is because we need to interact with many different people, departments and systems to ensure that all access is provided. Please understand that our goal is always to help and provide for our customers, as quickly and efficiently as possible. To that end, please give us as much lead time as possible to ensure that all is ready.
What ITS will provide
These options are based on when we receive the initial request/notification.
More than 5 business days: Full on-boarding provided.
- Placement of newly imaged computer, which fits ITS standards for current hardware, prior to employee’s arrival.
- Requested HLS- or job-specific software should be installed.
- Most electronic account access already created. (Windows login, email, H: drive, departmental R: drive, interdepartmental M: drive, access to most HLS websites, and most Harvard websites).
- Some electronic resources will be added by request after arrival.
Less than 5 business days: Partial on-boarding available.
- Placement of a loaner laptop, available for up to 5 business days, by which time a permanent computer will be placed.
- Requested HLS- or job-specific software will only be installed on the permanent computer, unless a special exception is made.
- Basic electronic account access (Windows login, email, H: drive, access to some HLS websites).
- New employee will use Virtual Desktop to access resources.
- Some HLS websites, calendars and network drives may be inaccessible. These and other electronic resources will be added by request after arrival.
Less than 2 business days: On-boarding Light.
- Placement of a loaner laptop, available for up to 5 business days, by which time a permanent computer will be placed. Employee will be logged in to a temp account on the laptop, which will have basic internet capability. If this is a temporary employee, who will be sitting at an existing employee's desk, that person will be able to use the computer which is already placed.
- Electronic account access may be unavailable. Account creation requires 48 hours to complete. Email, calendars, HLS websites and network drives may be inaccessible. These and other electronic resources will be added, some only by request, after arrival.
- Requested HLS- or job-specific software will be installed on the permanent computer.