Skip to Main Content
Rules Relating to Law School Studies / Rules Relating to Law School Studies
Table 6: Written Work Registration Deadlines (see below for important details)
|Type of Writing||Registration Deadline|
Fall term: October 4, 2013 (2Ls and 3Ls)
|February 1 of 3L year (all JD students)|
|September 27, 2013|
Fall term: October 18, 2013 (all 50-page papers and fall 25-page papers)
|November 8, 2013 (2Ls and 3Ls) (see below for LL.M. deadlines)|
Fall term: November 22, 2013 (2Ls and 3Ls)
April 25, 2014 (LLM students)
1. Option 1
a) The Option 1 registration form with the faculty supervisor’s signature and attached proposal must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the following dates:
b) Students should present their proposals to the faculty supervisor for approval well in advance of these deadlines as faculty members may require additional preliminary work before accepting a proposal.
c) First-year students may register for Option 1 in the spring term, in addition to enrolling in an upper-level elective of two to four HLS classroom credits, provided they receive prior approval from the Dean for Faculty and Academic Affairs.
2. Option 2
a) The Option 2 registration form with the appropriate signatures must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the following dates:
b) Verification signatures are needed as follows for Option 2 registration:
i. Law school course or seminar papers: No verification signature needed.
ii. Clinical Writing: a Clinical Office signature is required for all clinical writing in addition to the following verification signatures:
iii. Moot Court Briefs:
iv. Law Journal Writing: Journal Editor-in-Chief
v. Non-traditional Legal Writing: Faculty Supervisor
(Note: Students should seek approval well in advance of the dates below, as faculty members may require additional preliminary work before accepting a proposal.)
1. LL.M. student deadline for submitting the non-binding statement of interest survey for writing projects: September 27, 2013.
2. LL.M. student deadline for submitting faculty-approved registration proposal to the Graduate Program Office for 50-Page Papers and fall term 25-Page Papers: October 18, 2013.
3. Deadline for submitting faculty-approved registration proposal to the Graduate Program Office for spring term 25-Page Papers: January 31, 2014.
4. Final deadline for all LL.M. written work registration: January 31, 2014. LL.M. students who fail to register for the LL.M. Written Work Requirement by January 31, 2014 may be removed from the May 2014 degree list.
5. Deadline for changes to Required Written Work registration (per the conditions in Section II.A.6(e)): April 25, 2014.
May degree candidates who fail to register for the J.D. or LL.M. Written Work Requirement by January 31, 2014 may be removed from the May 2014 degree list.
To register for Optional Written Work, including Research Assistant Work for Credit, students must submit the registration form, signed by the Law School faculty supervisor with the proposal attached, by the deadlines listed below. J.D. students should file the completed form with the Office of the Registrar, and LL.M. students should file the completed form with the Graduate Program Office.
To register for the Winter Term Writing Program (WWP), J.D. students should indicate on the registration form that they are registering for WWP and wish to have the credits for the paper registered into the Winter Term.
1. Registration deadline for J.D. students: November 8, 2013
2. Application deadlines for LL.M. students:
J.D. students who have approval for additional credit for a paper for which they have already registered should notify the Office of the Registrar by:
All written work registration forms are available in hard copy in the Office of the Registrar.
Back to Top